Flurry O' Fury

Saturday, August 06, 2005

My car got broken into yesterday – it was one of six that got hit overnight at our condominium complex. We actually live in a very nice part of Houston, about a ½ mile from George Bush’s house, but ours is an older complex with cheap carports that leave vehicles exposed. So, nice part of town + vulnerability = thieves. We get smash & grabs on the property every other month.

Rebecca and I always thought that cars with cheap stereos (like mine) only got robbed when fools left valuables sitting out in them in plain sight, like leaving a purse on your front seat. Apparently, leaving the suction cup clip for my radar detector on my windshield qualifies me as such a fool, as I can’t think of any other reason why my car would’ve made yesterday's hit list. Of course, I don’t keep my radar detector in the car overnight, so all the thieves got was my $7 pair of sunglasses. But all of the broken glass did set us back $600…

…$600! And our insurance deductible for glass damage is $1000…

…$1000! You’d have to break every single window in a car, and then break out all the windows in the car parked next to you, to make it past $1000. Or you can just pay the insurance company an extra $12 a month to qualify for a $500 glass deductible.

Wow! I pay the company extra money on top of my already fat insurance check so that, if some punk ever does $600 in damage to my glass again, they’ll pick up $100 of it? And then they’ll just make that $100 back by raising my rates again? What a steal!

Stealing is exactly what it is. You get robbed by small time crooks on one end and by big business on the other. Stupid criminals break into cars for radar detectors that aren’t there. Smart criminals work for auto insurance companies that lobby for laws requiring all drivers to buy what they’re selling, regardless of the actual value of the insurance. At least when you buy protection from the mob they actually protect you. Who are the real gangsters here?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger Car Insurance Center said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a on line car insurance site/blog. It pretty much covers on line car insurance related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger TadaDiscounts said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a Gps It pretty much covers Gps related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home