Flurry O' Fury

Thursday, August 18, 2005

A friend of mine recently questioned the wisdom of posting my inner thoughts on the World Wide Web for all to read for all of eternity. And I do recognize that the potential hazards probably outweigh the benefits of a blog (which are theoretical at best). There are certainly enough stories out there about people losing their jobs over their blogs. So why bother?

Well for me, the answer is that I don’t really think that my blog can be defined in terms of risk & reward.

First of all, I don’t expect, or even hope, to be rewarded for blogging, so any reward I might receive would be incidental. Sure, I’d like it if I could build up some readership, but I know that my blog will never generate any revenue. Besides, if I were still interested in writing for money, I’d still be assistant editor at Black Tail magazine (not that the pay was great – I was really there for the benefits).

As for the risk, I think it’s negligible as well. I don’t take any personal responsibility for the content of this blog – I don’t even have my name on it. It’s true that the blog is wholly derived from my thoughts, and so is a reflection of me, but it’s not who I am. Yeah, 90% of the material in here is true-to-life, but the rest of it is obviously over-the-top fun. Your average person reading this will understand that I was never an assistant editor at Black Tail (they rejected my application), just like it’s understood that Larry David, Ozzy Osbourne, and David Letterman aren’t exactly as they appear on TV. And if some people are too stupid to discern a difference, then #$%* ‘em. What do I need idiots for anyway?

Besides, this blog is only the tip of the iceberg for me. I wrote over 3 years worth of columns for the University of Houston’s Daily Cougar, many of which are still up on-line. While most of those pieces were thoughtful efforts, others were blatant attempts to generate a flood of mail at the paper’s office, including columns titled “Argument For Abortion Tax Credit” and “Special Olympians Just Playing With Themselves”. But despite defacing the internet with that questionable content, I’ve still been able to get several jobs, a law license, and a beautiful wife, so I don’t see a blog as hurting me that much. If anything’s killing me it’s those 3 DWIs.

Anyway, very little goes into this blog that I haven’t already shared with family and friends, and those are the only people whose opinion I really value. As for anyone else reading this, some will get it and some won’t, just like some people get me and other don’t – that’s just life, folks. Lord knows I don’t get some of the #$%*ed up #$%* that other people blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home